Monday, June 9, 2014

16 and Pregnant....but not really..

So I've been into the Mtv show 16 and Pregnant since season one and every episode I watch and I wonder to myself....if this show was out when I was younger would I have taken heave to the message? Although I was not 16 when I had my son I was still very young...I was more like 19 and Pregnant and I was extremely scared to have a baby!!!! I think I was more scared of becoming a statistic...a teen girl with a baby with no job or education.
Where I lived you often seen children pushing baby strollers like it was cute, I so didn't want to be that. I had "plans" for my life! I wanted to go to college and be some type of teacher...meet a man, get married around 30-something, a house with a picket fence and 2.5 kids, you know the American (damn near unrealistic) Dream!
I had to come to grips with my decision ....my carelessness. I had no idea what I was in for being a young mother!! I truly believe the show shows a realistic depiction of being a child mother. As I watch the show although each girl is different they all seem to experience the same exact thing...the same exact things I experienced!
They all seem to realize

  • very quickly they have to grow up even though dad continues to be a child.
  • that hanging with your childless friends becomes a little nonexistent.
  • that trying to continue your education is way harder than you ever thought.
  • that pampers, milk and childcare are ridiculously high.
  • and that people are way more judgmental than supportive.
Being a teen mom is extremely hard physically, mentally, and emotionally and most of the time you don't really think of it you just do what needs to be done but looking back I wish I knew then what I know now...things would definitely be different. I always wonder how different my life would be if I would have actually did what I was supposed to have done and how different would my life experiences be and honestly I couldn't begin to tell you and that's probably because that wasn't how my life was supposed to be. God had this life planned for me and although it gets hard the things that I have experienced have made me into this awesomely great person I am today and I don't think I'd want it any other way!
I pray that God gives these young girls strength and direction because they will definitely need it. I hope that life for them gets easier and the sweet little babies don't have to suffer for their mistakes. I wish them well!

Here's a few pics of us growing up....

 




 Until next time,
J.

2 comments: